Sinergie Grafiche, Milano, IT.
Customer & Industry
Sinergie Grafiche (formerly named ABCompos) are a typesetting, graphics, printing and editorial services house based in Milan and providers to Wolters Kluwer Italy.
Sinergie had the requirement to move production of their Journals to an automated XML based workflow. Converting from authors tagged MS Word documents into their customers XML structure, for delivery along with PDF/Print output, composed with 3B2 (APP). Sinergie have a lot of experience in typography and 3B2 (APP) and therefore wanted to remain with the system they had been using with in-house unstructured tagged data for many years.
Sinergie asked tformat to analyse the requirement involved and propose a new 3B2 (APP) template system capable of delivering what was required.
There were a number of challenges to implement an effective solution for in this project, including:
- Easy to use automated, desktop and server capable template library.
- Automated XML parsing/warning, XML value analysis and MS Word conversion ‘clean-up’ prior to auto pagination.
- XML DTD structure used for several different document types & journal styles all within the same single template structure.
- XML also has many contextual and conditional differences between the document types to be handled.
- Create a system architecture and component parts that can be re-used and extended into all other journal titles production.
- Communicating specifications and detailed requirements, during development, to a tight deadline without full advanced information or data test suite being available from the end customer.
Outcome and Benefits
Due to the great flexibility of the toolsets in 3B2 (APP), our experience with the product and handling projects such as this. And the flexible and understanding approach of the customer. The new XML Journal template library V1.0 was completed within budget and production successfully delivered to the end customer on time.
Since first release the template library, it has had many enhancements and adaptations for new journal titles and continues to adapt to the growing needs and demands as its use for production increases.
“ The customer is very happy about this solution, because only with one passage he has the complete flow realised, from pagination to CMS.
We have realised and optimised the internal costs about the structure of CMS. And also standardised more template only with 6 template from previously having 21. ”
Monica Guzzetti, Director.